Sunday 2 December 2012

AJ Hackett Ledge Bungy




Located high above Queenstown, the Skyline Gondola is home to a variety of exciting and challenging activities. The varying degree of action found up there caters to everyone. Ranging from soft activities like the Kiwi Haka performance to slightly mild adrenaline pumping activities like the Skyline Luge and finally the pinnacle, the most adventurous activity up there, the AJ Hackett Ledge Bungy.



Being the adrenaline seeking junkie that I am, it should be no surprise to you that the Ledge Bungy is what I’ve been looking forward to for a very long time. For the longest while, I’ve been very nervous about hurling myself off a bridge. Surprisingly, I was very calm the whole week leading up to my first bungy experience.


 



The AJ Hackett name is synonymous with bungy jumping all over the world. Although it’s not the first, or the largest, the AJ Hackett Ledge Bungy is a unique experience on its own. Of the three different AJ Hackett Bungy sites in Queenstown, the Ledge is the only one in which you are harnessed in by your waist and not your feet. Branded the “freestyle bungy”, this gives you the freedom to pretty much jump off the platform any way you choose.  In addition it’s the only bungy in Queenstown that gives you the opportunity to jump by moonlight.





The staff out at the Ledge site were very friendly and professional in their conduct. They strive to make you feel welcome and get you very excited about the huge leap you are about to make. It’s calming and reassuring to hear that they have all jumped multiple times. Talking to one of the jump masters I found that he has jumped almost 80 times collectively at all 3 jump sites in Queenstown. Unlike at the Canyon Swing, where they tease and torment you, the staff at AJ Hackett seem to be a lot more reassuring and are there to make your experience as enjoyable as possible.

Being my first bungy jump, I wanted to grasp the original bungy experience as best as I could. I had the opportunity to choose from a few different jump styles but opted for the traditional swan dive. After a short glance over the edge of the ledge, a short look at what awaited me down below and a short glimpse into exactly where I would be bouncing around in the near future; I took a running start and leapt into what felt like an eternity of free-fall. Never before have I felt my stomach reach my throat so quickly. While this may sound like an 
unpleasant feeling, it was very 
welcomed as the adrenaline began 
flowing through my brain.

The bungy jump is an iconic Kiwi invention and AJ Hackett is an iconic Kiwi company. With highly professional staff, an immaculate safety record and an experience not too be missed, AJ Hackett’s Ledge Bungy is a must do on the list of all who visit Queenstown.

For a different experience and look at the Ledge Bungy, be sure to check out Sinchan and Daniel’s blogs.



No comments:

Post a Comment